Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SSL Connection

Hello to all,

I wanted to take a moment to clarify our stance on the implementation of SSL for our forum. From my viewpoint, while SSL has its importance in specific contexts like online banking or services dealing with critical information, for a regular forum like ours, its necessity becomes less pronounced. Our forum is private, devoid of any payment gateways, subscription services, or even revenue-driven ads.

Of course, like many forums, we operate using standard scripts, which occasionally may have vulnerabilities. But this potential for intrusion isn't necessarily connected to SSL. When vulnerabilities emerge, they affect all forums using that script, regardless of whether SSL is active, until the necessary updates are implemented.

I must emphasize the importance of caution when using online forums. It's a prudent practice to not use sensitive information on our site or others. Yet, as with many things on the internet, there will always be a range of user practices. While we can enhance protections on our side, there is an individual responsibility to ensure personal safety online. Remember, simplicity often leads to clarity. I urge everyone to employ unique passwords for each site they're registered on. Even with all the digital security measures in the world, they can't substitute for individual vigilance.

So, let's continue our discussions without overburdening our server with perhaps unnecessary layers. Thank you for your understanding.

Hey @joe! Happy to help with it! I would just get cloudflare and signup on the free version. You get free ssl and CDN. No need to pay anything!

(12-11-2023, 02:13 AM)alset Wrote: Hey @joe! Happy to help with it! I would just get cloudflare and signup on the free version. You get free ssl and CDN. No need to pay anything!

What about them terms of service can they just kick us off like they did with parler if they don't agree on the server content? This is what worries me with ssl or any other 3rd party services you bound by their silly terms of service and they give themselves the right to do just about anything.

(12-12-2023, 04:03 AM)ephemeralt8 Wrote: Become your on CA and just publish the certificate for users to install lol

https://deliciousbrains.com/ssl-certific...velopment/

Yeah I guess thats the hard hammer approach.   Big Grin

(12-11-2023, 08:42 PM)JoeLag Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 02:13 AM)alset Wrote: Hey @joe! Happy to help with it! I would just get cloudflare and signup on the free version. You get free ssl and CDN. No need to pay anything!

What about them terms of service can they just kick us off like they did with parler if they don't agree on the server content? This is what worries me with ssl or any other 3rd party services you bound by their silly terms of service and they give themselves the right to do just about anything.

Nope. Parler had suave supremacy in the literal sense and were scheming there. Free energy getting sensored? Nada. At best its an art project forum in your defense.

Hey guys, i work as devops and i dont know how you setup this forum, but i`d use a docker container to host the forum and then the nginx proxy manager tool to forward traffic to it specifically, in the nginx proxy manager you have ssl auto option with lets encrypt free ssl certs, so basically you just put the option of ssl true, and it automatically sets an ssl to your forum . If using a dedicated server i strongly suggest to install portainer, for container orchistration, and the spin up your forum as a docker container with dedicated persistance volume, and the nginx proxy manager , all those work out of the box with no complicated setups. If you need help i`d be happy to assist you Joel.

I can see someone trying very hard to discredit this forum with such spam, or maybe is a new method of free energy ?

I hope, admin will delete irelevant messages as soon as possible to prevent indexing of such crap for this forum and ban their ip.

(03-12-2024, 07:16 AM)Mozart Wrote: I can see someone trying very hard to discredit this forum with such spam, or maybe is a new method of free energy ?

I hope, admin will delete irelevant messages as soon as possible to prevent indexing of such crap for this forum and ban their ip.

I have activated more bot blocking features hope it makes a difference and don't mess with the rest.