Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Efficiency Lamp Driver Capacitive Version

Thanks again, Joel.

From the information here I realize that the circuit is plugged into the mains, but draws that very little current (40mA). In the video you say that it's not plugged to anything which was confusing to me, seeing there was no looping back.

The "inverter" part: is this just pulsed DC, because this looks like the "joule thief" sending impulses to the lamp which looks like "taking 15 watts", but actually it "works like a normal 15 watt", just like the "joule thief" will make an LED bright with 1.5 V battery, but in an efficient way. Right? (that's the first question)

The key here is the sudden discharge of the capacitor. If I compare the capacitors to buckets of water that are slowly poured from one to another, it doesn't make sense why you'd need an intermediate capacitor and it won't make sense what's the difference if you get 1 bucket from the mains, pour it into another bucket that pours it into a bank of buckets. Why wouldn't you just pour the first bucket into the bank of buckets or why don't you plug the inverter directly to the first bucket (capacitor). There's something with the discharge that gains power just like everything around us that has more speed.

The kinetic energy formula is 1/2m(v^2), which I'm not sure how correct it is, but indeed for a body in motion the speed changes the resulting power exponentially. The same formula applies for electricity where a sudden flow of current (speed) increases the power exponentially using the "negative energy", as you said, or "vacuum".

It's the same in the physical world. You can split a log with 1 hit from the axe which is equal to a few tons, while at the same time you can't split it just by pushing the axe onto the log, because you don't have the pressure of a few tons (which makes the log splitter machines very very inefficient). People work with speed + a little pressure.

This is why I think the reason for the power gain here is the sudden discharge of the capacitor that is like the spring which when released does not simply return to its original sizes, but there is some recoil. The same with a pendulum which doesn't go directly to the initial position when pulled a few inches and released, but it swings back and forth.

Second question: I've tested the electret effect and it's fascinating indeed that I discharge an electrolytic capacitor of X capacity into another of nX capacity (bigger) and the first one regains some of its voltage. For example I charged a 2.2 uF with 12 V and disconnected it from the source. Then I connected it for a fraction of a second to a 10,000 uF capacitor. Then I measured the voltage of the source 2.2 uF capacitor and it was 0.4 V. When I discharged it a few times in the bigger capacitor the voltage was still about 0.2 V.

The electret effect is probably the reason why I need to discharge electrolyltic capacitors (by shorting them out) a few times to make sure they are empty.

Indeed, the electrolytic capacitors are created with an energy input which makes the electret effect available. The only difference is probably the low voltage they are introduced at in their initial set up. If they were initialized with high voltage that would probably make them to stay pre-charged.

Messages In This Thread
RE: High Efficiency Lamp Driver Capacitive Version - by tihomir - 04-30-2023, 06:59 AM