Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching Diode Frequency Doublers

I always wondering what have in common some different fe/ou devices like Don Smith, Bendini, Kapanadze etc and what role plays in their circuits some of the coils. This has getting me so annoyed when i tried to compare with famous Jes Ascanius radiant energy harvest energy which in my mind was doing the same thing as in other setups.
This has lead my conclusion that it has something to do with capacitors and diodes that they are missing for old devices in the form and availability which exist in these days and i asked myself a a question which was pretty easy answered by chatgpt:

(But that spark has hit me only when i read about another devices where old heavy oxidate copper cables where used and was of essence in function and i found that they in fact when coiled act as a diode.)

Is it possible that a coil could act as a diode ?

A coil by itself does not act as a diode. A coil is an inductive component in an electrical circuit, and its primary function is to store and release electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It resists changes in current, which is a fundamental property of inductors.

A diode, on the other hand, is a semiconductor device that allows the flow of current in one direction while blocking it in the other direction. Diodes are commonly used to control the direction of current flow in electronic circuits.

However, in some circuit configurations, you can create a behavior similar to a diode using a coil in combination with other components. For example:

Flyback Diode: When a coil is used in a circuit with a switching element like a relay or a transistor, a flyback diode (also called a freewheeling diode) is often added in parallel with the coil. This diode allows the coil's energy to safely dissipate when the switching element is turned off, preventing voltage spikes and protecting the circuit.
Clamping Circuits: Some circuit configurations use coils as part of clamping or snubber circuits to limit voltage spikes and protect sensitive components. These circuits can include diodes as well.
In these cases, the coil is not acting as a diode but is used in conjunction with diodes to achieve specific circuit functions, such as energy dissipation or voltage clamping. The diode's role is to control current flow in a way that the coil alone cannot accomplish.

Messages In This Thread
Switching Diode Frequency Doublers - by JoeLag - 09-26-2023, 11:43 PM
RE: Switching Diode Frequency Doublers - by Mozart - 09-29-2023, 12:24 PM