Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is considered safe when dumping capacitor into a battery?

I have a 100AH 12V (LiFePO4) battery and I'm wondering what is considered safe voltage when dumping a capacitor into a battery? 

The battery has the following ratings

Standard Charging Voltage 14.6 (+-) 0.2V
Standard Continuous Charging 20A
Max Continuous Charging 100A

Now this ratings are for DC, but when dumping using pulsed DC capacitor, the effect is different right? 

What would be the max voltage that's safe to dump into a 12v battery from a capacitor? 
How much does amp matter when dumping from capacitor to battery? 
Does the frequency of the dump matter?

Thanks!

(05-02-2024, 07:21 PM)ephemeralt8 Wrote: I have a 100AH 12V (LiFePO4) battery and I'm wondering what is considered safe voltage when dumping a capacitor into a battery? 

Now this ratings are for DC, but when dumping using pulsed DC capacitor, the effect is different right? 

What would be the max voltage that's safe to dump into a 12v battery from a capacitor? 

Thanks!
Because it's pulsed the sudden amps a second is just for a moment most batteries can handle double, Bedini did 24 volts at around 20000uf dumps into car 12v battery.

(05-03-2024, 03:13 AM)admin Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 07:21 PM)ephemeralt8 Wrote: I have a 100AH 12V (LiFePO4) battery and I'm wondering what is considered safe voltage when dumping a capacitor into a battery? 

Thanks!
Because it's pulsed the sudden amps a second is just for a moment most batteries can handle double, Bedini did 24 volts at around 20000uf dumps into car 12v battery.

Ok, thank you!

What is considered safe to dump into a supercapacitor, for example Maxwell 2.7V 3000F capacitor?

(05-10-2024, 07:07 PM)ephemeralt8 Wrote: What is considered safe to dump into a supercapacitor, for example Maxwell 2.7V 3000F capacitor?

From experience about 80 volts at 10uf works fine. I would not push high joule discharges into them. But they handle the HV spike just fine.

(05-13-2024, 10:03 PM)admin Wrote:
(05-10-2024, 07:07 PM)ephemeralt8 Wrote: What is considered safe to dump into a supercapacitor, for example Maxwell 2.7V 3000F capacitor?

From experience about 80 volts at 10uf works fine. I would not push high joule discharges into them. But they handle the HV spike just fine.

OK, thanks!

Thanks!
My only experienced is by using SLA battery 12V 7AHr. Unfortunately, died after less than an hour from 0.47uF 200V± MKP cap. Maybe one or some of the plates or terminals broke due to spike even that smaller capacity.
I now making small step down transformer to much lower voltage. 

I decided SLA because it's only available and easier to purchase in my area and thinking other types of battery/cells won't handle this kind of electricity aside from being more expensive.

Also, thinking that lower the duty(solid state) or making the gaps(tesla ver) help the plates and terminals from that problem. Thinking about desulfator action around 60V± pulsed.

But in your case could be another situation using LiFePO4.

I plan to try with Lithium Ion soon. A bit cheaper than LiFePO4.
I have only 4 LiFePO4 on hand but afraid of using them. Maybe at the right time when things clear.

Regards,
JB