Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
100W OU Radiant Energy Circuit

Well if I were dealing with high frequencies like very high frequencies such as RF then it would be as simple as building a high Q antenna this would bring high voltages at high frequency. However I'm not sure of the effectiveness as using RF as a source of power or trigger into coils and back EMF however I did read that perhaps it is possible indeed and is the key to some of the energy generators that have claimed success I guess it all boils down to the design.

(05-09-2023, 05:47 AM)tihomir Wrote: Nice setup.

The coil I'm using is from an old (30 years) power cable that has two wires which are not twisted. A spool of speaker cable would be a similar thing. It has mass which is important, because Tesla said that his experiments had better results when there was more mass (in terms of wire size). I still think that coils like yours and mine can provide much more than we are currently seeing.

As for the skin effect: Tesla said that this happens mostly at high frequencies which we are not employing in those setups. What is interesting to me is that I can't produce back-EMF from such coils at higher frequencies. I've managed to get some at a few kilocycles, but not faster. There are spikes at higher frequencies, but they are much smaller and I don't know if they produce any gain.

Correct. Higher frequencies aren't this circuit's cup of tea. One of the reasons is because you can't fully magnetize the coil in a shorter amount of time, so the spikes are smaller.

There is a balance between the frequency/duty cycle so you are drawing the smallest amount of current while still keeping the spikes high.

Resonance is also a question that comes to mind, but I have it figured out. If you take 22uF and the inductance of your telephone spool (my case 18mH), you get about 250Hz. My dumps are fastest at 500Hz, but that's probably because I have a ten dollar inductance meter.

Here's a quick cap dump circuit demo I did with the coil showing resonance at the right resonance frequency.

That's gotta be the right interpretation. I measured the inductance of my coil and if the meter is correct (a multimeter with an inductance measuring option), it's 2.15 mH which is about the same ballpark — 730 Hz. Smaller capacitors will give me lower current. Smaller coils will give me lower voltage spikes, but at higher frequency. Not sure which outweights the other yet. I have to measure with the same capacitor but a different coil and vice versa.

I still haven't been able to run something more significant. I tried with a capacitor bank, but it's too small to loop the power back. I'll try with a battery.

(05-10-2023, 09:57 AM)tihomir Wrote: That's gotta be the right interpretation. I measured the inductance of my coil and if the meter is correct (a multimeter with an inductance measuring option), it's 2.15 mH which is about the same ballpark — 730 Hz. Smaller capacitors will give me lower current. Smaller coils will give me lower voltage spikes, but at higher frequency. Not sure which outweights the other yet. I have to measure with the same capacitor but a different coil and vice versa.

I still haven't been able to run something more significant. I tried with a capacitor bank, but it's too small to loop the power back. I'll try with a battery.

Joel had his frequency at 180 Hz, which means his coil had an inductance at around 35 mH

I received the inverter yesterday and began experimenting today with the isolated setup. The first thing I wanted to try was loop it back around to the battery while self-charging with the cap dump circuit. There is also an incandescent bulb hooked up and I'm charging a phone at 45W.

Here is a video on that 

So far the VI curve has still dropped and it's at 12.16V now.

The results are not what I was looking for, but I'm not disappointed at the same time. This is day one of experimenting. My battery is partially conditioned, so it will take a while for anything special to happen.

Joel mentioned his battery was conditioned for 2 weeks on a Bedini motor. My battery has been charged for a little over a week with high voltage pulses, but I'm starting to think I was overcharging and not conditioning. The draw had stayed at around 70W to charge the battery with the pulses, so I think a lot of current came in and destroyed the conditioning process regardless.

I have a PWM coming tomorrow with the same duty cycle adjustment Joel has, so we'll see how that goes.

Either way, my dilemma is properly conditioning the battery.

I think the duty cycle is a very important feature. Let me share my experiment. I'm just cap dumping into a primary coil of a Tesla transformer.

My coil is 31 uH, the capacitor is a 400 V 22 uF. That gives me a resonant frequency of 1.9 kHz. My SCR cap dump is using a neon lamp (100 V) for the trigger.

I set my function generator to 50% and at a high frequency (11 KHz) and the capacitor did not charge, because the spikes were not very high voltage. I lowered the frequency and the capacitor quickly charged, but once the dump was initiated I was not able to get the SCR to turn off, because current was always flowing in. I had to short the capacitor out so the SCR gets closed. If I did not, current was alwaysing flowing in from my DC power supply (that was set to 6 V, 20 mA limit and at that moment it was drawing 20 mA at 1.5 V, almost like a short circuit case). I don't know if it's the SCR (some 800 V one) or the frequency or the capacitor, but at 50% duty cycle I was not able to get it working at any frequency (tried up to 1 MHz).

I changed the capacitor with a 200 nF non-eelctrolytic one and I was able to make it work at 23 KHz at 50% duty cycle, but the cap dump was very slow - 11 Hz and a lot of power has been drawn - 1.3 V at 20 mA (26 mW). I changed the duty cycle to 8%, the cap dumps' frequency was the same (11 times a second), but the power consumption was 6 V at 2 mA (12 mW). Mostly voltage, as it should. The power consumption is just from the DC power supply. I'm not including the frequency generator in the calculation.

With that I just wanted to note the importance of the duty cycle. I guess that a 50% duty cycle would work fine with smaller caps, but not smaller coils because they won't give you enough voltage spikes to charge a capacitor up to 100 V. This means you'll probably need to trigger it with a Zenner diode. I tried to connect it to the base of the SCR (just like the neon lamp) and it did not seem to work as expected though (I only have a 5 V one). I don't have much time to experiment right now in order to find out the reason.

(05-14-2023, 08:10 AM)tihomir Wrote: I think the duty cycle is a very important feature. Let me share my experiment. I'm just cap dumping into a primary coil of a Tesla transformer.

My coil is 31 uH, the capacitor is a 400 V 22 uF. That gives me a resonant frequency of 1.9 kHz. My SCR cap dump is using a neon lamp (100 V) for the trigger.

I set my function generator to 50% and at a high frequency (11 KHz) and the capacitor did not charge, because the spikes were not very high voltage. I lowered the frequency and the capacitor quickly charged, but once the dump was initiated I was not able to get the SCR to turn off, because current was always flowing in. I had to short the capacitor out so the SCR gets closed. If I did not, current was alwaysing flowing in from my DC power supply (that was set to 6 V, 20 mA limit and at that moment it was drawing 20 mA at 1.5 V, almost like a short circuit case). I don't know if it's the SCR (some 800 V one) or the frequency or the capacitor, but at 50% duty cycle I was not able to get it working at any frequency (tried up to 1 MHz).

I changed the capacitor with a 200 nF non-eelctrolytic one and I was able to make it work at 23 KHz at 50% duty cycle, but the cap dump was very slow - 11 Hz and a lot of power has been drawn - 1.3 V at 20 mA (26 mW). I changed the duty cycle to 8%, the cap dumps' frequency was the same (11 times a second), but the power consumption was 6 V at 2 mA (12 mW). Mostly voltage, as it should. The power consumption is just from the DC power supply. I'm not including the frequency generator in the calculation.

With that I just wanted to note the importance of the duty cycle. I guess that a 50% duty cycle would work fine with smaller caps, but not smaller coils because they won't give you enough voltage spikes to charge a capacitor up to 100 V. This means you'll probably need to trigger it with a Zenner diode. I tried to connect it to the base of the SCR (just like the neon lamp) and it did not seem to work as expected though (I only have a 5 V one). I don't have much time to experiment right now in order to find out the reason.

Yes I believe the duty cycle means lots. In my opinion 50 percent duty cycle in a traditional sense will never be able to trigger more output energy unless you know of a farther down the line mechanism to make up for it.  Because we need to remember that the trigger current is one thing but so is the current usage from our pulse/switching circuit. So it's very important keeping it as most basic as possible so all together we only operate in the low milliwatts range. At this consumption, We have much greater chances of taking advantage of increased back emf amplitudes, feed back etc....

I have managed to find the problem. It was a wrong connection on the breadboard. Now it oscillates with a backward-connected transistor (without the base, which in my case is a 15 V threshold) or with a Zenner diode (5 V) at 50% duty cycle at the 5 MHz range. The DC power supply shows 5 V at 20 mA which means it eats all the current I'm giving it.

BTW: Is it possible to create an oscillator with a short duty cycle without using a 555 timer or any other IC component? Just basic components. I don't think the flyback oscillator circuits use a short duty cycle, because they oscillate, they don't create pulses.
(end of BTW)

(05-14-2023, 09:47 PM)tihomir Wrote: I have managed to find the problem. It was a wrong connection on the breadboard. Now it oscillates with a backward-connected transistor (without the base, which in my case is a 15 V threshold) or with a Zenner diode (5 V) at 50% duty cycle at the 5 MHz range. The DC power supply shows 5 V at 20 mA which means it eats all the current I'm giving it.

BTW: Is it possible to create an oscillator with a short duty cycle without using a 555 timer or any other IC component? Just basic components. I don't think the flyback oscillator circuits use a short duty cycle, because they oscillate, they don't create pulses.
(end of BTW)

Maybe you can use a transistor astable multivibrator circuit. This circuit uses two transistors (Q1 and Q2) to create an oscillation.
To achieve a short duty cycle, you can increase  and decrease the value of Rs. You can also increase and decrease the values of Cs. These changes will result in a shorter on-time and a longer off-time, which will give you a shorter duty cycle. Maybe look online for a basic circuit diagram and play with the values.

(05-14-2023, 10:27 PM)JoeLag Wrote: Maybe you can use a transistor astable multivibrator circuit. This circuit uses two transistors (Q1 and Q2) to create an oscillation.
To achieve a short duty cycle, you can increase  and decrease the value of Rs. You can also increase and decrease the values of Cs. These changes will result in a shorter on-time and a longer off-time, which will give you a shorter duty cycle. Maybe look online for a basic circuit diagram and play with the values.

Thank you. That's a good suggestion.

Hi everyone, I am new here. Definitely, want to rebuild this and take on the advices from everyone. I will do my best to share my results here after everything is built. But I have very little knowledge about electrical when compared to everyone over here. Can I get some recommendations on the resistor and diode? Looking forward to expand on Joel's wonderful projects.